Stampede Park will soon be buzzing with enthusiastic young 4-H members from the Calgary region. 4-H on Parade presented by Cervus Equipment is the largest 4-H event in Western Canada. This event takes place from Friday, May 29 – Sunday, May 31. 4-H on Parade is a time when the youth can showcase their final projects they have been working on all year long. There are many different projects that you will see on display at Stampede Park: there are horse, canine, sheep, lifeskills, beef-female and steer projects.
If you’re wondering a bit about the different projects you can see throughout the weekend, let me tell you a bit about them:
- Equine: There are three days for horse projects this year. There will be both English and Western riding styles exhibited in the horse shows. The members will compete in both Jeopardy Trail and the Horse Bowl throughout the weekend. Be sure to check out the first show, which starts Friday morning in the Agrium Western Event Centre.
English riding class
- Canine: This year, there are 30 members that are participating in the canine section. The classes for the canines will include showmanship, obedience and agility. New this year is a demo on Friday afternoon, starting at 4 p.m., from the Calgary Police K-9 Unit. You do not want to miss this at 4-H on Parade!
- Sheep: The 4-H sheep project is another one of the projects that continues to grow each year. This year, almost 70 members from seven different clubs will bring nearly 230 sheep to Stampede Park. You will see sheep trimming, showmanship and even flock classes at 4-H on Parade.
A proud 4-H member and his sheep project
- Lifeskills: The lifeskills showcases archery, clothing and textiles, foods, photography, vet science, visual arts, and welding. The lifeskills section will be in the beautiful, state-of-the-art Agrium Centre. Be sure to check it out and you may even fall in love with a silent auction piece!
Photography exhibit from last year’s lifeskills section
- Female Beef: With more than 140 4-H beef-female projects this year, the show is sure not to disappoint. There are heifers, 2 year-olds and 3 year-olds that will all be in the ring. Showmanship and conformation classes for the females will also be included.
- Steers: The Steer show this year will begin on Saturday afternoon, with 102 steers being exhibited. Come down to the Agrium Centre to see the kids leading their projects around the ring with big smiles on their faces!
Show-ready steers in the Agrium Western Event Centre
- Finally, on the last day of 4-H on Parade, one of the most anticipated events of the weekend is the sale for the market lambs and steers starting at 10:45 a.m. This is where the 4-H members will sell their final projects and be rewarded for their year of hard work. There is something to see for everyone at 4-H on Parade. This event is many of the member’s biggest highlight of their 4-H year. So come and show your support for the youth’s hard work and dedication to the 4-H program!
For a full schedule please visit http://ag.calgarystampede.com/. Hope to see you there!