The 2016 Stampede is already at the halfway mark – but there are still tons of events for guests to check out this week, including the many shows that are included with your admission such as the Canine Stars, Bell Adrenaline Ranch and Peking Acrobats – so here are two quick and easy recipes from the Calgary Stampede Kitchen to keep your energy high.
Easy, grab and go, Stampede Granola:
Honey ½ cup
Butter ¼ cup
Avocado oil ¼ cup
Rolled oats 3 cups
Flax seed ½ cup
Cranberries-sundried 1 cup
Blueberries- sundried 1 cup
Cashews or almonds 1 cup
1. Melt the butter, honey and oil in a sauce pan over low heat.
2. Toss together the oats, flax seed and nuts in a large bowl.
3. Add your melted butter, honey and avocado oil mixture to the bowl and mix well until evenly coated.
4. Spread thinly and evenly across a parchment-lined baking sheet.
5. Bake at 325*F for eight to 10 minutes.
6. Mix in the cranberries and blueberries then bake for another four to five minutes.
7. Set aside to cool.
8. Break up the granola bits and place in a clean container to store.
Mix this granola with milk or yogurt before you come to Stampede Park for a filling breakfast – or put it in a Ziploc bag for grab-and-go bites!
Packed with energy and nutrition, Stampede Granola Bars:
½ pound butter
2 ½ cups honey
1 ½ cups yellow rugar
5 ½ cups rolled oats
2 ¼ cups bran
1 cup rice krispie
1 ½ cups sunflower seeds
2 ½ cups trail mix (nuts, smarties, etc.)
1 ½ cups raisins
3 quarter cup sesame seeds
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup dried blueberries
Tablespoon hemp or flax seeds
1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Melt together the butter, honey and yellow sugar in a saucepan for five minutes on low heat.
- Add the melted liquid mixture to the dry ingredients in the bowl.
- Once evenly mixed, spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 11 minutes at 350*F.
- Let cool and then cut into squares.
Happy Stampeding from everyone at the Stampede Kitchen!