Just because it’s wet outside doesn’t mean you can’t have a whole lot of fun on Stampede Park. We challenge you to use rainy weather to find something new on Stampede Park. Here are 10 ideas:
1. Grab covered seats at the Grandstand for the Rodeo or the Evening Show (which includes the GMC Rangeland Derby and the TransAlta Grandstand Show). Use the Virtual Venue to see which seats are covered – bring a blanket, stay dry and enjoy the show! Tickets available here.
2. Visit the horses, llamas, cows, pigs and more in the Agriculture Zone. In the Northern Lights arena, you can find daily demonstrations that feature light horses, mini horses and blacksmiths. Exciting western events and competitions are always happening at the Agrium Western Event Centre, where you can find Cutting Horse competitions, Working Cow Horse Classic, the Heavy Horse Pull and more.
3. Preview the future’s great talents at the Youth Talent Search competition in the Boyce Theatre (in BMO Centre). At 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, July 12 (Preliminaries), Thursday, July 14 (Semi Finals), Friday, July 15 (Semi Finals), Saturday, July 16 (Finals).
4. Head to the International Pavilion and celebrate Calgary’s diversity. Check out the international street market upstairs and the Range international Food Market downstairs. The Peking Acrobats perform daily at 1 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 6 p.m. You can also check out the Cultural Community Stage performances at noon, 3 p.m., 6 p.m. and 8:45 p.m.
5. The Bell adrenaline ranch will warm you right up with black flipping motorcycles, snowmobiles and plenty of pyrotechnics. Daily shows in the Stampede Corral at 12:30 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 4 p.m., 5:45 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
6. You’re looking for the latest technology in comfortable insoles, spiraling vegetables and floor mops? Seek shelter in the Stampede Market in BMO Centre!
7. For kids: Buckaroos in the Stampede Market in BMO Centre and the Play-Port in the International Pavilion are great places to explore.
8. Have mini unexpected adventures in the BMO Centre market place with the Locked Room’s Wild West Escape or in the Western Oasis with the GIFnTAKE booth.
9. Kick back in the Western Oasis in BMO Centre. Stroll the Western Art Showcase. Enjoy live music at the Window on the West stage. Relax with a glass of wine in the Wine Garden or get culinary inspiration at the Co-op Kitchen Theatre.
10. Put on your dancing boots and grab a cold one at Nashville North!
Bonus: Parking at the Stampede gets you steps from the Olympic Ave entry. There are more than 2,000 spots. Flat rate of $25 – or $30 for the Scotiabank Saddledome parkade.