The Calgary Stampede Showband is thrilled to announce its 2016 production, In Pursuit. Inspired by classic heist films and television, the production will take the Showband’s audiences on an intriguing and exciting chase as the band tracks down a stolen briefcase. Check out the quick teaser trailer below!
In Pursuit will feature music including Steve Reich’s “Electric Counterpoint”, John Powell’s “Tangiers”, Paul Lovatt-Cooper’s “Equilibrium”, Adele’s “Skyfall”, and the theme from The Streets of San Francisco. Oscillating between minimalist, comical, and dramatic elements, this production will have a wide emotional range. According to the Calgary Stampede’s Director of Bands Aaron Park, In Pursuit will be both suspenseful and fun. “It’s not necessarily a story about detectives or spies, although it has that same feeling of mystery and intrigue. It’s sort of a ‘catch me if you can’ story; everyone is after the same elusive briefcase and what may be inside. “Electric Counterpoint” is woven throughout the show as a recurring motif to bring out that feeling of pursuit, mystery, and intrigue.”
“Watch for a clever game of cat and mouse inspired by The Thomas Crown Affair. The audience can follow the briefcase through the show along with thematic effects that add to the suspense and excitement.”
The Showband’s design team includes Michael Klesch (wind arrangements), Ian Hale (front ensemble arrangements), Colin McNutt (drumline arrangements), Jamey Thomson (drill), Jennifer Leseth (colorguard), Alan Spaeth (flags), KC Michel (visual consultant), Larry Rebillot (visual consultant), and Diane Maielle (costumes).
Don’t forget to mark your calendars! You can catch the Showband performing In Pursuit this summer at the following events:
- Music ‘n Motion – May 22, 2016 at McMahon Stadium, Calgary
- Celebration of Sound – June 19, 2016 at Hellard Field, Calgary
- Vikingland Band Festival – June 25-26, 2016 in Alexandria, Minnesota
- Appleton, Wisconsin – June 30, 2016 (MACBDA)
- Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin – July 1, 2016 (MACBDA)
- Sun Prairie, Wisconsin – July 2, 2016 (MACBDA)
- Rotary Music Festival, a DCI event – July 3, 2016 in Cedarburg, Wisconsin
- Showbands Live! – July 12, 2016 at McMahon Stadium, Calgary