The Mavericks Chuckwagon Racing Team started in 2000. The group of 25 achieved their first goal of purchasing a chuckwagon canvas, then in 2009 purchased a second wagon to sell nights to interested companies to share their experience at the GMC Rangeland Derby. The Mavericks also raise money for Children’s Charities through their Big Hearted Mavericks Foundation and have raised more than $4 million towards those causes. Ken Malvin is one of the founding members.
When did you first purchase a chuckwagon canvas?
We started 17 years ago when we decided we were too old to go dancing at Cowboys- haha We have been fortunate to have great Drivers such as Larry McEwen, Brian and now Jamie Laboucane They allow us to host our guests and give us the opportunity to have our guests meet the athletes, the horses. It is a strong family sport and we are proud to be a part of the chuckwagon family.
What’s your experience like back at the barns?
It’s like getting a backstage pass to a major concert. We open at 4:30 p.m., serve appetizers, drinks and dinner to our guests. We close to watch the races, then head back for food and drinks. Finally, we watch the fireworks from ground zero.
What’s the experience like for your guests?
We give our guests an official barn tour and teach them about how chuckwagon racing and how it has evolved since its inception in 1923. Guests get to meet the drivers and the thoroughbreds, and watch how the barn crew cares for the animals and prepares for the races. They enjoy hearing their corporate name during the announcements and get photo ops with the driver and their tarp. With full dinner and drinks before and after the races , we have a lot of fun back there. It’s a totally unique experience.
If you’re interested in being a canvas advertiser, reserve your bid card here.
Did you know?
- Competing on the chuckwagon circuit can cost $200,000 a year. Canvas advertisers are vital for the drivers’ livelihood.
- Over 10 days, a chuckwagon canvas has the potential to be seen by 160,000 live cheering fans and 2.8 million television viewers.
- Chuckwagon advertisers get: exclusive barn access and tours for up to 40 guests every night, gate admission, grandstand/tarmac access, guest hosting experience.
- Share the cost: team up with up to nine partners to purchase a chuckwagon canvas.
- The Calgary Stampede is here to support you! Stampede will provide every chuckwagon advertiser a liaison to help maximize your branding benefits.
Not in the market for a chuckwagon canvas but don’t want to miss the action? Make sure to get your tickets to the 2016 Evening Show (includes the GMC Rangeland Derby and the TransAlta Grandstand Show)!