Well, it’s official: Stampede 2010 has started!
Over the last couple of months, Stampede Spotlight has highlighted the diverse array of things to do on Park, some of which you may have heard about, and some of which you may have not.
Today, I’ll quickly highlight some of the other things that I may have missed, as well as show you where you can go to find more hints, suggestions, and information to help you make your Stampede experience this year a memorable one.
Other New Events This Year
- Acrobatic Ice Show: Taking place in the Stampede Corral this year (the Superdogs have moved to the upper level of the Big Four Building), this show has been created specifically for the Stampede. Featuring Elvis Stojko, Tessa Virtue, and Scott Moir, the Acrobatic Ice Show: A Rock ‘N Roll Fantasy will have Canada’s elite skating superstars and cirque acrobats performing to live performances of Rock ‘n Roll’s most unforgettable anthems by Tina Turner, Nickelback, U2, ACDC, Guns N’ Roses and more! In the Stampede Corral daily at 2 p.m., 5 p.m., and 7:30 p.m. with an additional show at 10 a.m. on July 11, 13 and 14.
- Ignite: A new show at the Bell Midway Circus when each night at dusk, the evening will explode with powerful drumming and a fiery high-dive, all leading up to a spectacular display of high-level fireworks viewable from the seats at the Midway Circus. Featuring the Calgary Stampede Showband, Milord Fire Dive Team and Fire Spinners, it’s an excellent way to check out the fireworks display on Park if you can’t make it to the Grandstand Show, and a great way to cap off your day at the Stampede. Free with Park admission and starts at dusk (around 10:45 p.m.).
The Calgary Stampede website has all the information you need to aid in planning your Stampede Experience. Here are some important links that you may want to check out:
- New for 2010: For those who like to think that the Stampede is the same thing every year, this section lists all of the new events and activities that are debuting at this year’s Stampede.
- Online Planner: The online version of the Stampede Planner that has been traditionally mailed out to Calgarians. You can use this to plan your Stampede at a glance, and each day has a downloadable version of the Daily Events Schedule that you can print off from home and take with you (just click on the Adobe Acrobat PDF icon displayed next to the date).
- General Information: From hours of operation to information on available emergency services, this section has it all.
- Maps: If you’re new to Calgary and have no idea what the difference is between the Stampede Grandstand and the Stampede Corral, this section has information on where you can find those venues.
- Deals & Days: While many of the advance savings programs are over, there are still ways to save money on your Park admission or other things. This section outlines the various deals still available, and special days on Park where you can save some money.
- Tickets: Advance tickets for certain events are still available and can be purchased online through our website. Perfect for people who like to drop by at the last minute and wonder if there’s anything interesting to do between July 9-18. If you’re looking for information on Midway pricing, see here.
- Events: If you’re looking for information on the various events that are happening on Park during the 10 days of Stampede, this is where you’ll want to go. If you’re looking for more information on agricultural-related events specifically, you’ll want to check out the Stampede Agriculture website.
- Music: If you’re looking for information on who’s playing at the Coca-Cola Stage, Nashville North, the Saddledome, and elsewhere, this is the section that you’ll want to visit.
- Fun for Kids: This section contains information on all of the child-friendly entertainment options that are available.
- Food and Dining: There are many food and beverage choices available on Park, and this section highlights them all. Don’t forget that you can always bring a bag lunch from home too if you need to, which you can enjoy at many of the venues at Stampede Park.
- Flapjack Finder: One of the best parts of Stampede Time is all the free food available. Visit this website to find all of the pancake breakfasts available throughout the city during the 10 days of Stampede.
- Stampede Live: If you want to know what’s going on at any given time in regards to Stampede, this is the section you’ll want to visit. You can see at-a-glance what kind of discussions are happening on Twitter and Facebook, new videos we’ve uploaded to our Flickr and YouTube accounts, new things happening on the Stampede Blog and much, much more.
If you have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, we also have a couple of new apps that you can use this year (internet connectivity required for all of the features to work):
- Official Calgary Stampede App: Connect, plan and share your Stampede with the Calgary Stampede iPhone Application. Organize your Stampede ahead of time with ease and, during Stampede, stay on top of everything that’s happening on-Park, July 9-18, 2010.
- Flapjack Finder App: On-the-go and looking for some grub? Use the mobile Flapjack Finder app to find free pancake breakfasts. You can even use the location features to find the pancake breakfast that’s closest to your current location.
If you have any questions about the Calgary Stampede, the Calgary Stampede’s Guest Relations team is ready to help. You can reach them by texting the word STAMPEDE followed by your question to 313131 on your mobile phone and someone will reply between 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. You can also get assistance by visiting one of the many Stampede Guest Services booths on Stampede Park.
And with that, you should have all the information you need to plan a great Stampede experience. If you’re looking for some suggestions on what to check out at this year’s Stampede, please browse through our Stampede Spotlight archives, and we’ll see you at Stampede Park!