Happy New Year to all and I wish all of the employees and volunteers a safe and prosperous 2016. It was a busy end to 2015, with a number of events taking place on Stampede Park. The Stampede was also represented at the National Rodeo Finals (NFR) in Las Vegas, which I was fortunate to attend and see the CS bucking stock in action.
I was very pleased to see our Sponsorship department activate the Calgary Stampede cabin at the Cowboy Christmas trade show in the Las Vegas Convention Center. Thanks to all our volunteers, including the Calgary Stampede Royalty, for taking the time to help host visitors at the CS display.
December 14th saw Stampede employees and volunteers gather together to shoot some promotional footage, which the Stampede will use later this year for marketing purposes. It was great to see such a large and enthusiastic turnout at this event.
Notwithstanding the challenges posed by the economy, 2016 promises to be an exciting and eventful year for the Stampede. There are numerous events to look forward to at the Park this spring, including:
1. Annual General Meeting on Tuesday, March 15, and I look forward to seeing all shareholders at this meeting.
2. The 2016 Canvas Auction presented by GMC on Thursday, March 17 in the Boyce Theatre.
3. One of our new sponsors, AltaLink, is holding a very timely farm safety day in the newly-named AltaLink Hall in the Agrium Western Event Centre on March 24.
4. The always popular Aggie Days runs from April 7 to April 10 and for the first time in their new venue at the Agrium Western Event Centre.
5. Our Dairy Cattle committee’s Dairy Classic Championship is on April 20 and 21 and this year welcomes the National Holstein show.
6. 4-H groups take over the Agrium Centre on June 3rd to 5th for the annual 4-H on Parade events presented by Cervus Equipment.
Development on Stampede Park continues with construction on Enmax Park wrapping up and with that beautiful new green space now being open to the public. Work on various projects on Youth Campus continues with both the planning and commencement of construction for the TransAlta Centre and BMO Amphitheatre now under way. Meetings with many stakeholders are taking place in respect of possible expansion plans for our BMO Centre facility.
As usual it is never a boring time at Stampede. Look forward to working with all of you this year.