It’s day two of Stampede 2010 and here are the daily highlights:
- Cowboy Up Challenge (new!): You’ve never seen anything like this. This extreme competition showcases horse and rider working as one through a challenging obstacle course where time is the deciding factor. Cowboy Up, July 10-12 in the Pengrowth Saddledome at 3 p.m. daily. Free with Park admission.
- GMC Rangeland Derby: The GMC Rangeland Derby isn’t just something you watch, it’s something you feel. When the klaxon blares, four chuckwagons, 32 horses and 128 thundering hooves roar by with a rumble so intense it shakes 17,000 cheering fans right out of their seats and to their feet! Starting at 8 p.m. nightly. Tickets available here.
- Grandstand Show: The Grandstand Show “World Party” celebrates the astounding beauty and wonder of life on Earth with singing, dancing, Cirque du Soleil acrobatics, daredevil motocross stunts, comedy routines, drumming, magical special effects, and fireworks displays you’ll remember forever. Tickets available here.
- Bell Midway Circus (new!): The Bell Midway Circus is an outdoor arena featuring acts that are so large (or so crazy) that they simply cannot be confined indoors. ACRODUNK, the Top Cops high dive show and freestyle extreme motocross are some of the fun headliners. The area also provides the perfect vantage point to see the nightly fireworks show. Free with Park admission.
- Bobs & Lolo: Bobs & Lolo are dedicated to connecting kids to the natural world with music, movement and make-believe. Sharing musical stories that engage, inspire and educate, they teach kids to care about themselves, their neighbours and the planet. Catch them daily at Buckaroos in the Big Four Building at 1:30 p.m., 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Free with Park admission.
- Metal Art Showcase: The Metal Art Showcase is an increasingly popular spinoff of the World Championship Blacksmiths’ Competition. Blacksmith artists from around the world are invited to submit unique pieces of metal art, created by using traditional forging methods and techniques. Saturday is the last day of the showcase. See the incredible art in the Palomino Room in BMO Centre during the day followed by a live Metal Art Auction at 7 p.m. Both events are free with Park admission.
- Nashville North: Karen Lee Batten, Shane Chisholm, Jason Greenley, The Kentucky Headhunters
- Coca-Cola Stage: Thomas and friends, Terry Stokes, Ok Go
- Saddledome Plaza Stage: Splash n’ Boots, Calgary Stampede Showband, Circo Comedia (new!), Treaty 7 First Nations dancers, Visiting Bands performance, Calgary Stampede Showband small ensembles, Recycled Percussion, comedian Michael Harrison (new!), A Band of Outriders